- What must be worn in the laboratory at all times and why?
- What precautions should be taken to prevent staining or damaging your clothing in the laboratory?
- Why is it a bad idea to wear baggy or loose clothing in the lab?
- Can you wear leggings in a lab?
- Can I wear shorts in a lab?
- Is working in a lab dangerous?
- What is safety rule?
- Why is it important to wear closed shoes in a lab?
- Can you wear flats in a lab?
- What are the most common lab safety problems?
- Why is it important to wear proper attire in the laboratory?
- What kinds of clothing should not be worn in the lab?
- Why should you never eat in a lab?
- Which types of shoes are appropriate to be worn in the laboratory?
- What are the 10 lab safety rules?
- What are the 5 lab safety rules?
- What should you not do in a lab?
- What is the most important safety rule?
What must be worn in the laboratory at all times and why?
Safety goggles are to be worn AT ALL TIMES in the laboratory, not just when an experiment is in progress.
To this end, students are expected to put their safety goggles on BEFORE entering the lab.
If a student must remove their safety goggles for any reason, they must first leave the lab..
What precautions should be taken to prevent staining or damaging your clothing in the laboratory?
Wear your laboratory apron. It will help to protect your clothing from stains or damage. 1) Check glassware for chips or cracks. Broken, cracked, or chipped glassware should be disposed of properly.
Why is it a bad idea to wear baggy or loose clothing in the lab?
Necklaces, neckties, dangling jewelry, long hair, and loose clothing can cause you to knock things over or catch items on fire. … It’s best to wear fitted garments, but if your clothing is loose or baggy, tuck it in or tie it back so that it does not get in the way or catch on fire.
Can you wear leggings in a lab?
However, don’t get too comfortable: avoid wearing things like leggings, tights, pajama pants, and yoga pants. While they do, technically, cover your legs, the materials used to make these garments is too thin to adequately protect you from chemical spills or broken glass.
Can I wear shorts in a lab?
Always wear clothes that cover and protect your legs down to your ankles. … Shorts, skirts and other clothing that does not cover your legs below the lab coat should NOT be worn.
Is working in a lab dangerous?
Important Tips to Stay Safe While Working in Laboratories. Laboratories can be very dangerous places to work in because of the use of potentially hazardous substances and exposure to physical harm. Additionally, many of those who work in labs are doing so alone on off hours, heightening their risk.
What is safety rule?
Definition. A principle or regulation governing actions, procedures or devices intended to lower the occurrence or risk of injury, loss and danger to persons, property or the environment.
Why is it important to wear closed shoes in a lab?
1. Wearing open-toed shoes. It is important to wear closed toed shoes in the lab for a variety of reasons. If you drop something, such as glassware or chemicals, your feet will be safe and sound.
Can you wear flats in a lab?
1. Tie back long hair before entering the laboratory, don’t wear dangling jewelry. Sandals, flip-flops, Crocs, open-toe and open- top (i.e. ballet flat) shoes and canvas shoes (i.e. Toms) are not appropriate. These are not going to protect your feet if you drop a piece of glass with a liquid chemical reagent in it.
What are the most common lab safety problems?
Common Laboratory Safety IssuesStorage of combustible materials near the ceiling.Storage of corrosive, flammable, or toxic chemicals above face height.Incomplete/improper labeling of liquid waste containers.Poor labeling of stock solutions or secondary containers.Faded labels or label falling off.Degraded plastic chemical containers.More items…
Why is it important to wear proper attire in the laboratory?
Proper attire is essential in the lab. There is always a chance of contacting a chemical spill or a sharp edge on a piece of equipment. … It is very important to wear shoes that cover the bottom and tops of your feet because the lab floor is rarely completely free from debris, broken glass, or small chemical spills.
What kinds of clothing should not be worn in the lab?
Avoid wearing the following items to lab:Contact lenses.Tank tops or cropped shirts.Mesh shirts.Shorts or skirts that do not cover your knees when you are sitting.Sandles, flip-flops, or other shoes that do not completely cover your feet. Sandles with socks is not considered appropriate attire.
Why should you never eat in a lab?
Food ingestion and chemically contaminated drinks are sources of chemical exposure. Thus, chemical exposure takes place upon consuming food or beverages stored with chemicals. … Therefore, eating or drinking in the lab is strictly forbidden.
Which types of shoes are appropriate to be worn in the laboratory?
ACCEPTABLE footwear that provides protection and is commonly worn in the laboratory work includes fabric-covered shoes (e.g., athletic shoes, sneakers) and perforated leather shoes. These shoes, however, may be susceptible to liquid penetration.
What are the 10 lab safety rules?
The 10 Most Important Lab Safety RulesThe Most Important Lab Safety Rule. … Know the Location of Safety Equipment. … Dress for the Lab. … Don’t Eat or Drink in the Laboratory. … Don’t Taste or Sniff Chemicals. … Don’t Play Mad Scientist in the Laboratory. … Dispose of Lab Waste Properly. … Know What to Do With Lab Accidents.More items…•
What are the 5 lab safety rules?
Basic Safety RulesKnow locations of laboratory safety showers, eyewashstations, and fire extinguishers. … Know emergency exit routes.Avoid skin and eye contact with all chemicals.Minimize all chemical exposures.No horseplay will be tolerated.Assume that all chemicals of unknown toxicity are highly toxic.More items…
What should you not do in a lab?
Things Not to DoDo not eat, drink, chew gum, smoke or apply cosmetics in the lab. … Do not put pieces of lab equipment in your mouth. … Do not work with chemicals until you are sure of their safe handling. … Do not use the phone or computer with gloves on your hands.
What is the most important safety rule?
The most important lab safety rule is to know the location of and how to use safety equipment, such as a fire extinguisher.